Friday 19 December 2014

PRE-run run up

Ok, so its the worst time of year to start thinking about dieting and exercise and weightloss. The week before Christmas!! But it was already on my new years agenda to order less takeaways and try to lose some weight. With my BMI coming in at 35.5 I am firmly in the Obese column. Even without knowing my official BMI the fact that I've popped the buttons off of TWO coats in the past couple of months has been warning enough.
But its not easy when your very slim partner constantly wants to eat takeaways and rarely likes homecooked meals.
But from a financial point of view as well as health, we both at last agree that less takeaways would be a good thing. So it is with some enthusiasm I happened across the book Run Fat Bitch Run and although it is earlier than I planned I think it is something that could interest me.
I told myself  I wouldnt read it yet as the motivation it will give me will be fresher than if I read it now whilst intending to start it some three weeks from now. But curiousity has had me reading it anyways.
I am eager to start but also full of trepidition as to if I can do it and stick to it. I dont ever stick to anything diet or exercise related.
The first thing that strikes me about the book is that the FIRST thing is states is that it WILL be boring, horrid and very very hard! Not the usual promoting speech of any regime I know of of! Usually its all "this is easy, this plan will make your weight fall off effortlessly" and we know its crap yet the positiveness makes you try. Then fail. At the first hurdle. All because its not what you were led to believe, easy and effortless. RFBR is giving it to me straight. From the start. I like the approach. Although that doesnt make me feel like Im not gonna give up on it. But I want to try. And knowing from the start that it is hard may stop the shock feeling and fail pattern? Maybe? I have  yet to see.
The excuses section about weather and time and wanting tv is all very apt. I have the perfect time when both myt kids are at school in the afternoon but Im used to this being my self time. I love the peace and watching my programs and eating my snacks. But this is exactly whats making  me a FAT BITCH. So I gotta make a choice. Im thinking to start with half hour to 45 mins rather than the 1 hr 45mins the book recommends. Just to get me started. Slowly slowly as it says. Just getting to a point of being able to run for that long will be a big achievement and then I can think of extending it.
But my biggest hurdle to overcome is my partner. It doesnt say in the book that having a disapproving partner is an excuse and I dont know yet what he will be like yet, but I fear he wont like it if I am 'out' for over an hour nearly each day. That he will try to put me off, or make arguments to make me stop. A bridge I will have to cross later and a reason to start gentle first with just half an hour.
Already I have got off my arse more today, gone to the shops walking twice, done more housework. Trying to kurb that part of me that just wants to slouch on the sofa and feel no energy.

I really hope to lose weight. My neck is so fat that I find it hard to breathe sometimes. Its one thing wanting to lose weight just to look better but when the fat is affecting your health and comfortability it is really bad and a sign that something needs to be done!

No comments:

Post a Comment